The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on women and girls for the last four decades. ICRW works with partners to conduct empirical research, build capacity, and advocate for evidence-based practical solutions to change policies and programs. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices in South Asia and Africa, ICRW conducts research to inform policies and programs seeking to alleviate poverty, promote gender equality and protect the rights of women and girls. Corporations, foundations, governments and civil society organizations partner with ICRW to discover through rigorous research how to dismantle barriers and help women and girls achieve their full potential. ICRW’s focal areas include gender-based violence, healthy transitions to adulthood, economic empowerment, HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
At ICRW, we believe that research can and should be a process of social development, and we employ participatory methods when appropriate. Further, ICRW pursues intersectional research to the greatest extent possible. All research we undertake serves to advance ICRW’s mission of improving the status of women and girls, promoting gender equality, and eradicating poverty.
The Theme Coordinator will work as part of a team and independently with ICRW’s Thematic Team to implement activities related to Gender Violence & Rights (GVR). S/he will be internationally recognized as having highly specialized and valuable knowledge in Thematic Area. S/he will lead policy and program research; program-related activities pertaining to the design, implementation and evaluation of particular Thematic Area projects and design and implementation of Thematic Area. Travel expected for this role is between 25% - 30%. S/he will contribute to further conceptual development and fundraising on the key thematic area of Gender Violence & Rights (GVR), and its integration with the team’s broader portfolio of work on Thematic Area and across ICRW’s portfolios.
Ph.D. in a relevant field (public policy, public health, economics, sociology and related subjects). Masters with additional years of experience will be considered.
Six (6) years to eight (8) years of experience, working on gender as it relates to Gender Violence & Rights and broader development issues including at least five (5) years of practical field experience. Advanced skills with research and analysis, monitoring and evaluation and programmatic activities is essential.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Extensive Knowledge of programs and research related to violence against women, LGBTI rights and inclusion, masculinities, social norm change, and/or program evaluation required.
- Ability to think strategically, critically and high level analysis.
- Demonstrated coordination ability to coordinate and work with peers.
- Able to provide leadership to the assigned projects and project team.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation and demonstrated experience in designing and/or conducting training.
- Ability to synthesize & analyze research projects including the methodology & findings into narrative for publications & dissemination.
- Takes the lead role or contributes significantly to the development of successful business development opportunities including development of concept notes, full proposal, new partnership development and donor management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and demonstrated track record of producing high quality, well-written deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Advanced skills in the design of quantitative and/or qualitative studies and the analysis of resulting data.
- Excellent writing skill (in English) is must, and sound working knowledge of an additional language would be plus.
- Will create VISION for the theme, BD and Build Staff capacities on the theme
- Will lead ARO specific Thematic Strategy document
- Support the development of BD plan for the thematic sector and explore resource mobilization opportunities for theme expansion.
- Will work with BD Team to develop project proposals that meet donor requirements as assigned by the RD/COO
- Provide technical assistance including practical guidance and input in proposals on design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the assigned theme.
- Leading ARO efforts to ensure alignment across ICRW (HQ, ARO, AfRO) to enhance thematic global platform (As global platforms are established over a period)
- will have dotted reporting line to Director GVR, based at Washington DC
- providing thought leadership as appropriate,
- bring together the cross-cutting themes, issues, learning from various projects in each theme
- Assuring the quality of the project and provide minimum oversight together in consultation with the project manager of the team. However, financial approval of the project will be RD
- assuring knowledge management for the GVR Theme
- encouraging collaboration across the whole institution
- Will function as Project Manager or provide support to mid-size to large projects (as defined by ICRW).
- Provide leadership to the portfolio on project management activities, including a clear understanding of financial and technical requirement and expected project outcomes.
- Lead the assigned project teams.
- Will provide technical coaching to team members on the thematic area
- Undertake analysis of capacities & skills gaps in the team with HR
- Along with HR identify & share with the team members, relevant capacity building opportunities & platforms including training, conferences, online courses & knowledge sharing e-groups.
- Take the lead in organizing talks and brown bags by both internal (project information sharing) and external (experts & practitioners) resource persons at a minimum 3 annually.
- Will maintain relationship with existing project donors and participate in professional conference, technical meetings and working groups
- In Consultation with RD represent ICRW with Media and High – profile Groups on relevant technical and policy issues in India and overseas.
Applicant must be legally eligible to work in India.
Due to the large volume of responses we receive, ICRW is not able to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. ICRW is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V.