Locations: Puerto Princesa City, Tacloban City, and Laguna, Philippines
Time Period: October 2019 through November 2019
Deadline: September 27, 2019
Sunsilk, Girl Rising and the International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) have partnered on a program called Explore More! The program aims to expand girls’ and young women’s horizons and their capability to dream and aspire.
To do this, the partnership uses a three-module curriculum, which it is launching in four countries. The curriculum uses inspirational, experiential and educational interventions to encourage and equip girls to stretch, explore and act upon new possibilities. The use of videos to present accessible and relatable role models is a primary approach within the curriculum.
During the initial stage of the programme’s launch, the partnership seeks to assess how the curriculum is performing against its programmatic objectives and make any refinements necessary to the curriculum content and method of delivery before it is implemented more widely.
Girl Rising seeks a Consultant/Contractor to conduct qualitative data collection in the Philippines and to regularly debrief the program implementation team (Girl Rising) and the research team (ICRW) on progress and interim findings.
The locations for data collection are Puerto Princesa City, Tacloban City, and Laguna.
Qualitative Data Collection
The Consultant/Contractor will:
- Participate in a remote orientation conducted by ICRW staff to learn about the project and receive instruction on how to collect and process the data.
- Work with ICRW and Girl Rising country managers to schedule the site visit, including scheduling and other logistics for the FGDs with each partner organization.
- Conduct 3-4 focus group discussions with up to 24 curriculum facilitators who have been trained and have completed implementation of the curriculum at least once (each FGD group will have 6-8 participants). At least one FGD with curriculum facilitators should be held in each location.
- Conduct up to 6 focus group discussions with up to 24 youth who have received the complete curriculum (each FGD group will have 6-8 participants). Two FGDs with youth participants should be held in each location.
- Transcribe and translate these 9-10 focus group discussions into verbatim, English-language transcripts (all FGDs will be digitally audio recorded).
- Conduct two debriefing sessions (one during and one just after the data collection period) with the Girl Rising and ICRW teams to present top-line findings from the FGDs that can be used to immediately refine or improve the program content and/or delivery approach.
- The project lead will conduct weekly debriefing sessions with the ICRW team to report on data collection progress and bring to attention any operational challenges that may be affecting the quality or quantity of data being collected.
- Final field report describing timing of data collection events, summary statistics of number of participants by type, gender, age and any other characteristics decided in advance of data collection; observations on the quality of the data and overview of any challenges that were faced and how they were mitigated
- Verbatim transcripts of all in-depth interviews in English
- 2 reports (in PowerPoint Deck or MSWord format) of top-line interim findings from the FGDs
Interested Consultants/Contracting firms are asked to submit a proposal that includes:
- A technical narrative no longer than 3 pages describing how they will accomplish the tasks described above;
- A Gantt chart or timeline with proposed completion dates for all tasks;
- A detailed budget with budget notes;
- CVs of key personnel who will be engaged in the data collection. Data collection firms/organizations must also submit an institutional capacity statement;
- Brief paragraph summaries of 3-4 examples of similar data collection work conducted with the past two (2) years. The summaries should include descriptions of the past efforts, covering the scale of data collection, the methods used, field strategy (including interviewer/researcher recruitment, team structure, quality control systems, etc.), data management approach, quality control systems, etc.
- 2-3 references that can be contacted regarding the quality of the Consultant’s/Contracting firms’ work
Proposals should be submitted to ICRW by September 27, 2019.