The International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) seeks a Senior Global Policy Advocate for Women’s Economic Empowerment
to coordinate a new, global advocacy coalition on women’s economic empowerment. Reporting to the Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy, the Senior Advocate will be responsible for the development and day-to-day management of the coalition, with primary responsibility for logistical support and coordination including planning, supervising, and managing coalition activities, member outreach and engagement and project management.
The ideal candidate has thematic expertise in women’s economic empowerment issues, experience in coalition management and advocacy, and analytical skills and experience in global and national level policy. Together with Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy, an economist and relevant global partners, the Senior Advocate will be responsible for scoping and building the coalition; recruiting and coordinating members; developing an advocacy and communications strategy; synthesizing and adapting relevant evidence; and developing policy recommendations for target advocacy audiences in line with that evidence.
This is a two-year contract with possibility for renewal.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Coalition Coordination and Management: Help scope and build global coalition on women’s economic empowerment, including: research and analysis of prospective members/targets/opportunities; member recruitment/cultivation/retention; coordinate and convene quarterly meetings; work with members to develop global and national advocacy and communications strategies.
- Coalition Strategy, Set Up, and Support: Provide daily coordination between the ICRW team, coalition members and other stakehoders, ensuring that effective and productive collaboration is maintained. Provide strategic advice, creation, incubation, structure and governance support, and Hub launch. Collaboratively develop the Coalition’s identity, positioning, and programmatic theory; build trust between Hub members and ensure a shared vision. Build the network of local NGOs (both CBOs and national-level), international NGOs, researchers/universities and other stakeholders interested in being connected on WEE work for maximum interconnection and information sharing via a website and other tools.
- Stakeholder Engagement & Communications: Identify tools and resources and strategic members communications, messaging and marketing materials
- Project Management: Manage all aspects of financial and operational support for day-to-day operations of the project. This includes budget management, soliciting and managing vendors, and personnel management for the project, working cross-functionally with ICRW research, regional, communications and finance teams to ensure timely and quality execution of project deliverables. Preparing a budget and tracking and overseeing expenditures for all activities and expenses related the coalition, keeping activities on budget, initiating changes to the budget where needed, and figuring out ways to manage costs, as well as project reporting, and measurement (including monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Policy Analysis and Research-to-Policy Translation: Together with relevant partners, the Senior Director, Policy & Advocacy; Global Policy Advocate and Economist, review and synthesize evidence on women’s economic empowerment and develop recommendations and advocacy messages for target audiences, supervise the design and publication of Coalition publications and communications and advocacy products, and disseminate publications and messages in line with advocacy and communications strategies.
ICRW is committed to promoting a culture of equity through our recruitment processes, staff training, policies & procedures, Board membership, and research programming. We believe that all people deserve an equal opportunity for employment, advancement, and fulfilment - regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to expanding our definition for what diversity means, moving beyond the binaries, and setting new standards for ourselves and across sectors.
- Solid understanding of/familiarity with global evidence on women’s economic empowerment
- 7+ years of experience in global/national advocacy efforts, coalition management and policy analysis.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and experience writing and speaking for advocacy, media and donor audiences. Experience crafting messages and placing content in social and traditional media outlets.
- 3+ years of experience managing personnel, budgets and vendors.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadline.
- Attention to detail and excellent proofing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of U.N. and other global (World Bank, G7/G20) policy forums
- Experience and demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations, donors, CEOs and board members.
- BA or Masters in economics, international relations, public policy or related field, with additional background in/knowledge of women’s studies, gender equality and related issues.
ICRW is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable. ICRW is an E-Verify Employer.