International Center for Research on Women (ICRW) has been the premier applied research institute focused on women and girls for the last four decades. ICRW works with partners to conduct empirical research, build capacity, and advocate for evidence-based practical solutions to change policies and programs. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices in South Asia and East Africa, ICRW conducts research to inform policies and programs seeking to alleviate poverty, promote gender equality and protect the rights of women and girls.
Working closely with the Policy & Advocacy team, the Economist will conceptualize, lead, and provide technical oversight for a project designed to build, synthesize and amplify the global evidence base on women’s economic empowerment. The successful candidate will exercise thought leadership, evidence review, curation and synthesis and work cross-functionally with the advocacy team and communications firm to design and disseminate said evidence among target advocacy audiences at the global and select national levels. This will also include serving as a technical advisor to key partners in a new, global coalition for women’s economic empowerment.
Ph.D. or master’s degree in Economics is required.
Minimum six years of post-master’s or four years of post-Ph.D. experience conducting research, with a desired thematic focus on feminist economics/women’s economic empowerment, a desired functional focus on economic policy, and a desired geographic focus on low and middle income countries.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks:
Research Analysis, Synthesis and Curation:
Review, analyze, synthesize and curate ICRW and partner research and evidence on what works to advance women’s economic empowerment outcomes across sectors and geographies, with an eye toward policy implications and recommendations for global and targeted national level markets. Analyze primary and secondary data using appropriate methods, write incisive products for diverse audiences, including research reports, peer-reviewed publications, and other outputs, such as policy briefs and messages for new and traditional media. Work with Coalition members and relevant partners to review relevant research outputs, provide technical guidance and strategize about opportunities for policy impact and advocacy dissemination efforts.
Research to Policy Translation:
Working closely with the Advocacy team and communications firm, draft, design and publish policy briefs and other Coalition materials highlighting and drawing from ICRW and partner evidence on what works to advance women’s economic empowerment globally; design and implement a publications and dissemination strategy for relevant audiences; work with advocates and researchers to draft evidence-informed policy recommendations in target audiences at the global and select national levels. As needed, provide advisory services for government officials looking for technical expertise to opine on/advise policy formulation/implementation.
Business Development and Grant Management:
Works with project team to develop content for grant reports and proposals in this technical area. Identifies potential funding sources and actively cultivates potential opportunities with donors and funders on an as-needed basis.
Maintains professional expertise and recognition outside of ICRW through publishing and speaking in relevant forums. Authors publications and represents ICRW in the media and with colleague organizations; serves on coalitions and builds policy advocacy efforts in line with current research program.
- Expertise in gender, economic empowerment and livelihoods, including women’s empowerment collectives
- Experience in the design and implementation of formative, operations and evaluation research in gender, economic empowerment and livelihoods
- Quantitative data analysis skills, to include expertise with one or more of the following analytical software packages: SPSS, STATA
- Skills/experience in qualitative analysis
- Ability to effectively manage and juggle multiple projects, including staffing, workplans, deliverables, timelines, and budgets
- Peer reviewed publications in gender and feminist economics
- Experience with economic policy and research to policy translation
- Experience leading and working in multi-disciplinary research teams
- Experience providing training, capacity building and technical assistance for research and programming related to gender, economic empowerment and livelihoods
- Demonstrated successful project management skills, along with maturity, diplomacy, and independence to work effectively with in-country partners, donors, and project staff
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Experience working on bilateral and multilateral research projects
- Membership of relevant professional organizations and strong networks (IAFFE, WIEGO, AEA) preferred
- High-level of proficiency in English required and one proficiency in other language highly preferred
Candidates are expected to submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples.
Due to the large volume of responses we receive, ICRW is not able to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ICRW is committed to promoting a culture of equity through our recruitment processes, staff training, policies & procedures, Board membership, and research programming. We believe that all people deserve an equal opportunity for employment, advancement, and fulfillment - regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to expanding our definition for what diversity means, moving beyond the binaries, and setting new standards for ourselves and across sectors.
ICRW is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable. ICRW is an E-Verify Employer.